Saturday, June 18, 2016

What's off the machine and what's on the machine..............................


My super prolific quilt making customer Marcelle has a nice little pile of quilt tops in my 'to-be-quilted' cupboard all in order of when she needs them. Some are for me to quilt all-over-quilting designs (aka: edge to edge quilting) which I can slot in between the quilts that require custom quilting, others are needed as a baby is born, then Marcelle likes to gift the family a quilt. The following quilt is just that..........................................


Made for a baby boy, made from some lovely train border fabric and 4 1/2" squares. Doesn't it make you look at border fabric in a new way!


For the borders I simply quilted piano keys or picket fencing which looks like railway tracks. The squares are cross-hatched, all over Matlida's Own polyester batting and a lovely pieced backing.


                  Some of the pieces in the backing fabric are Thomas the Tank Engine!


Currently on the machine is another quilt of  Veron's..................Redwork stitchery.


Several weeks ago I finished the Scrappy Crossroads quilt that I will soon gift to one of my nieces. I have a few more of my quilt tops waiting to be quilted.


This is bound for another purple loving niece. It measures 68" x 80" it has fourteen thousand and forty 2" squares!  Matilda's Own polyester batting, Madeira AeroQuilt thread in purples, all over quilting : "Ribbon's & Roses" and a flange binding.





From time to time I like to make some small quilts to donate to Auckland's Neo-Natal Intensive Care Unit. Robyn from Patchwork Passion kindly oversees the distribution of these.


They are measuring around 20" x 24". I even pieced a couple on my long arm machine, similar to this method, although I don't have a computerised machine, it still works a treat!



 They do need slightly larger ones to go on top of the incubators, so that might be the next size I will make.




9 comments:

  1. That's such a fun baby quilt of Michelle's! The border fabric just makes it doesn't it? Lovely stitching of Veron's but I couldn't quite see what the stitcheries were - guess I'll have to wait till you've quilted it huh? That crossroads pattern is a really great scrap buster - I have it earmarked to do one day - when I'm over my 9-patches!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that baby quilt, too. The center solids with the fun border print is a really nice effect!
    That is a LOT of squares in the Scrappy Crossroads quilt. What purple lover wouldn't be thrilled to receive that?
    Sweet little quilts for a great cause.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a fun quilt with the train border. Trying to get my head around 14014 squares in that amazing quilt wow.The baby hospital will be thrilled with those little quilts

    ReplyDelete
  4. That border is magnificent, and the piano keys gives it a perfect finish. Prem, newborn, or really tiny babies, these will be so treasured.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You sure have been busy again Leeanne - love that train fabric. My boys used to just adore Thomas. Gosh those quilts for the Neo Natal I.C.U. are just gorgeous ... that is sooo sweet of you & I am sure they will be put to good use.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an amazing train quilt, love the border fabric and Thomas was a big fav in our house too. Your tiny quilts are beautiful, is a great idea to make them. I feel tired just thinking about how many squares are in your purple quilt!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The train quilt is so cute....perfect for a little chappie! Love all your beautiful work and seeing this lovely quilts. Lovely effort also for the Neonatal unit xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely scrap quilt, I'm extremely fond of the colour purple so this is right up my street!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I received special needlework gifts at the hospital when my youngest was born. They were treasured.

    ReplyDelete