Sunday, July 27, 2014

Cats & 'Loose Change'


My sweet customer Lois went on the Craft Fair at Sea Cruise with Lynette Anderson, Michelle Marvig & Sarah Fielke. The class Lois did with Sarah was the following quilt.


Lois is a huge cat lover & is fondly known as 'The Cat Lady'. So most quilts Lois makes has either cat themed fabric or she asks me to quilt cats. This quilt has both!!!
 I bought the cat stencil from Ngaire at Kiwiquilts. Incidentally I met Ngaire at the show in Auckland last weekend, she is just lovely!


For all the quilting I used a black/grey variegated Gunold thread & worked the stencil so that it was a continuous design. Through the middle of the quilt, I stitched straight lines 1/4" either side of the seams. The batting Lois chose was Bamboo. The quilt is 82" square.


                                   I free hand quilted the odd "meow" & "purr" here & there.



Now for the back, a lovely soft flannelette. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. .


With cats on . . . . . . . of course!!! Enjoy Lois!

Next is a quilt, called "Loose Change" made as a shop sample for the shop, remember my sewing day? Over here, well here is my finished quilt.


This will be a class available, using some new fun rulers & books Kerryn bought back from spring market in America. Class coming in September, see here for more details.

I used Aurifil's Poly filament variegated thread top & bottom in a lovely rust/orange colour. Simple cross hatching through the blocks, the a curved/pointed wave on the border, over Matlida's own Wool/poly batting.



Do you fancy my label? A vintage doiley, using a black pigma pen to write the quilts own little blurb!




 I am pretty happy with this quilt & of course I have used my all time favourite fabric : Kansas Troubles.


12 comments:

  1. Two nice quilts Leeanne. I was admiring Loose Change yesterday at the shop - but didn't realise it had such a cool label on the back! Lois's quilt is very effective - the cat stencil looks a good one, love the addition of the meows and purrs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Raewyn - 2 very lovely quilts Leeanne - Hope I dont end up being called The Cat Lady :-)
    Love the colours in Loose Change - gorgeous colours & fabrics you have chosen. LOVE the label on the back too

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two beautiful quilts, your cat quilting is perfect. I love your quilt, lovely colours and design and the doily makes the perfect label. Such a clever idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your quilting on the cat quilt is amazing Leeanne!! I too love the purrs and meows! The Loose Change quilt is lovely too, love the doily! Great idea for a label.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the quilts! but my favourite is the doily label! Great thinking, will have to use that!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so clever, love the cats and your quilting :D And what a fantastic idea to use a doilie as a label! Genius :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. More great quilts :) The cat one is so striking! and the label on the back of the loose change one is just delightful - love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. that cat quilt design is too cute.
    what a great idea to use some vintage linens for a label.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cute cat stencil. I like the way you have put it to use.
    Loose Change is so attractive. I also have this thing about KT fabrics! Nice work, Leeanne!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I so do fancy your label!! Very clever, I washed a huge pile of those today!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a great use of a doily for a label. I've never used doilies but find the odd few for dyeing projects and cutting up, but now I'll add labels to my list of uses. Both quilts are lovely too.

    ReplyDelete