Wednesday, February 18, 2015

A baby boy quilt and a bag.



Hello friends, I sure hope your week has been a happy one. Today I am sharing a baby quilt made by Elizabeth for friends that are expecting a boy.


Elizabeth asked me  to custom quilt this one, so I did have some fun! If you are a regular follower of my blog you will notice whenever I am working on a custom quilt I like to ditch stitch. I know many quilters don't but I feel by ditch stitching you define the piecing and give a real crisp look to the quilt. It is time consuming but so worth it.


For this pretty quilt I pulled out some of my 'gadgets', the straight edged ruler for the ditch stitching and the others for the curves etc.



The quilt measures 35" x 47", Elizabeth chose wool/cotton batting, some of the fabrics are by Bunny Hill.


A feathered border to blend with the feather wreaths and for something a bit different I quilted curved cross hatched squares in the border corners.



A couple of photo's with the perfect light to really show off the quilting!


Got to say, I really do love my job! So many lovely quilts of all kinds. If you follow me along on Facebook you will see the next quilt I have been working on is so different. here is a peek.


I am part of a small group of women who get together once a month to stitch and chat.............no @#*%^$ here! We have a Christmas swap, you know the drill, you pull a name out of the hat and that is the person you make a gift for. Here is what I made Di.



The pattern was from a Moda bake shop book called:Fresh Fabric Treats'................say that ten times with a lolly pop in your mouth!!


You are probably thinking Christmas presents in February?! Well some in the group had lots going on in December and January, anyway why not drag Christmas out a bit longer!
I also made a wee zip pouch and popped some threads and needles inside. I fondly call Di 'The Bag Lady' as she makes some lovely bags and has quite a few! I hope she doesn't mind another.


Until next time........................................................



17 comments:

  1. As always your quilting really finishes a quilt. Xmas in Feb sounds perfect I bet she loves the bag - one can;t have too many bags.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The baby quilt is gorgeous Leeanne and Di's gift also beautiful! I didn't realise you had made the wee pouch as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blue and white, lovely, and a bag with a bag, the clear plastic with a fabric bottom and zigzag, great idea, ditto for never too many bags.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know there are "gadgets" for machine quilting. And what a pretty quilt is is it and your quilting finished it! Great idea to have X-mas in February, and you made such wonderful presents!
    Have a nice week, Cisca

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous baby quilt and as for the quilting - stunning. Love the bag you made and what a great idea, a see through mini bag/purse. Why not christmas in February, any month
    I say!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The baby quilt is stunning Leeanne...real heirloom quality..love the feathers! The bags you made are lovely, very nice idea extending Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oops forgot to say the rooster looks amazing...looking forward to seeing the rest of that quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You always know just what to do with the quilting. Looks great!
    Nice bag--and who can't use another stylish one? : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. I actually really love that baby boy quilt Leeanne ... is it cot size as it looks really big?? It would be nice as he grew older too - not too, too babyish. Di is one lucky recipient of your gorgeous bag & I also love the little pouch you made - love the see through style of it. No supervisor in any photos today ??

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a special quilt for baby....its great that you got to play with your quilting! It was a fun night giving out gifts...and the little see through pouch is cute... missed Di holding that up!
    looking forward to seeing Mr Rooster finished..xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. The see through pouch is such a great idea. I love the quilting designs on the lovely baby quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your quilting is beautiful as always.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The baby quilt is lovely and your quilting really makes it come alive, just beautiful. Lovely Christmas gifts too, love your fabric choices! xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree with the comment that the quilting has really made that baby quilt come alive - it is very much a heirloom now... if it survives babyhood that is!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovin' that baby quilt. I think it is fabulous how you used a darker thread instead of matching the background.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm with you on the stitch in the ditch. It really sharpens the finished look.
    Lucky swap partner.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love ditch stitching! And pressing seams to the side to make it happen ;). So lovely to catch up on all your quilting - great creations and beautiful quilting which leaves no wonder as to why you are so busy! Hope you've been well x

    ReplyDelete