Saturday, July 23, 2016

Simply Red, Simply ditch stitching.................


Hello and welcome! The quilt I am about to show will NOT have you enjoying some fancy quilting, because there is none, zip, naadaa!
But what you will see is a beautiful quilt, lovingly designed, appliqued and pieced.


The facts about this stunning quilt, to the best of my knowledge:

Design, piecing and applique by Sharon Keightley of Pine Valley Quilts - Link to this quilt *here*
Matilda's Own Wool/polyester batting.
Ditch stitching - me!

When Sharon asked me if I would do some quilting for her I was quite surprised as Sharon is a very accomplished quilter in her own right, what on earth did she want me for??
 Big dead lines, too many quilts to baste, that dreaded basting can bring you domestic quilters to your knees - literally!! Sharon asked me to please ditch stitch and she would do the rest of the fancy quilting. Happy to! Ditch stitching can be very tedious and if I'm, honest very boring! But it must be done - unless you have chosen edge to edge quilting, then it is not necessary.
So there you have it, please keep an eye out on Sharon's blog and facebook pages to see what quilting Sharon does do, I'm sure it will be a winner! I'm sure you will be tempted by her lovely patterns.

Last Sunday I went tramping to a magic spot called MimiWhangata. We were lucky with the weather only one wild wet shower of rain then the rest of the day was fine, except the wind, that was strong in exposed places, it had us grabbing our woolly hats . But as usual the not so good stuff about tramping are out weighed by the views, such spectacular scenery.

The beaches

The farmland

The lunch spot!

                                              Then it was time to head back home!


Home to work on some more of your quilts. Sneak peeks of one I have finished and other half way through.



Stay tuned for an update next week for these two beautiful quilts. Until them, be happy, be safe and keep on patchin' that fabric!




10 comments:

  1. What a great idea for Sharon to get you to baste and DS. You're right, she does lovely quilting herself, but it needs time.
    I'm having a Queen size quilt basted, ( Sorry your a bit far away Leeanne) so I can Practise my amateurish quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That red quilt is quite stunning Leeanne, I look forward to seeing what she quilts on it. You sure do have some spectacular scenery up in the far north. And with your tramping, you get to see it all !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful quilt, sometimes, ditch stitching is all it needs.
    NZ is on my bucket list....one day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. a lovely quilt oh dear I did not know you have to quilt in the ditch on every quilt I tried it once but it looked so bad as I wobbled in and out so do not so it on m quilts. This is thr problem when you try and teach yourself, had there been classes to go to I would have learnt these things and also been shown how to do it properly

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful quilt and wonderful scenery!I Yes the basting of the quilts is the reason I have eight hanging in the wardrobe waiting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sharon's quilt is beautiful, I have seen it on her blog and thought it looked lovely - it would have been nice to see it in person! Sounds like you really enjoyed your tramp!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such gorgeous scenery on your tramp. I would probably get left behind or lost as you know I would be spending far too much time photographing and very little time tramping. But I would make the lunch date!! Another lovely quilt you worked on Miss Clever CLogs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a beautiful quilt Leeanne. And what a lovely place to go walking.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad you got to enjoy your tramp and love the photos. Sharon's quilt looks awesome also. Bucket lists are good, we should try and tick the bucket list off if we can hugs xxx p.s mine has some of those tops waiting for quilting plus a few other thingsxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad you got to enjoy your tramp and love the photos. Sharon's quilt looks awesome also. Bucket lists are good, we should try and tick the bucket list off if we can hugs xxx p.s mine has some of those tops waiting for quilting plus a few other thingsxxxx

    ReplyDelete