Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Picture quilt, audio book and a sneak peek!




A cute picture fabric framed and pieced together to make a lovely quilt for a new baby boy all the way over in Scotland. Jenny was busy as a beaver making this quilt for her friends that were sure to be having a girl................. no girl was born, but a wee boy!....................so without a fuss Jenny set to work making another quilt for her friends, but this time a more suitable quilt for a boy! Well done Jenny!


Maderia poly neon threads used over a poly batting, this quilt measures 37" x 47". Jenny left me to my own devices as what to quilt. After some ditch stitching and some enhancing of the picture blocks I quilted swirling loops, looking a wee bit like waves. Jenny asked me to make and attach the binding. You will notice I had to attach the binding in the traditional manner, as red binding was required down the sides next to the checkered border and for the top and bottom was checkered binding.

 
Jenny can now sew the binding down and send the quilt on its merry way to Scotland!

I have two more quilts finished ready to share with you, but they are to be gifted by my client, so I have been asedk to hold my horses before I can blog about these quilts.
I can share a sneak peak of the next quilt I have started working on.



While quilting this past week or so I have been getting back into listening to audio books. I borrow mine (for free) from my local library. The one I finished today, I thoroughly enjoyed! " The Last Runaway", by Tracy Chevalier  This is also available as a book, you know with pages to turn!

Honor Bright is a modest English Quaker with a broken heart. Emigrating to Ohio with her sister in the hope of making a new life, she soon discovers that 19th-century America hard, precarious place to live. Its people are practical and unsentimental, its climate challenging. Even its quilts are different from those she makes. Moreover, it is divided by slavery, legal in southern states and opposed by many northerners.
One day a runaway slave appears in the farmyard of Honor’s new family, and she must decide what to do. Even Quakers - famed for championing human equality - may hesitate to break the laws of the land. Drawn into the clandestine activities of the Underground Railroad, a network of people helping runaways escape to freedom, Honor befriends two surprising women who demonstrate what defiance can achieve. Eventually she must decide if she too can act on what she believes in, whatever the personal costs.

Remember my giveaway! I'd love you to have the chance at something special just for you!
Have you noticed my newly made over blog? Did you see I have a 'grab button'? Well if you are willing to put this button on your blog I will give you 10% off the next quilt you commission me to quilt!
Also on my Facebook page I am having some gift giving too! Pop over & like my page to go in the draw!

14 comments:

  1. Yep thats a real boys quilt alright Leeanne - it looks lovely,I really like the checkered borders & bindings. The sneek peek looks very gorgeous too ... cant wait to see the finished results on that one. Your audio book sounds fascinating, have always meant to try those audio books, must give it a go :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the baby quilt Leeanne, just wonderful for a boy. I also love the sneak peek, can't wait to see the completed quilt. I recently read The Last Runaway and thoroughly enjoyed the book. It is a great story

    ReplyDelete
  3. Flash new blog!! The baby quilt is so ideal for a young fellow, it looks like it would have been a fun one to put together and quilt. I do like the look of your sneaky peak - hopefully we don't have to wait long to see more of it! Remind me to ask you more about your listening books - what device do you use with them?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a friend that listens to those books in the car on long trips. See I wouldn't be able to be the driver if I was listening to a book. Must be good to have one when you are busy with your quilting. Now when is my cuppa I ordered going to arrive??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the boys quilt and your quilting is beautiful!! Love the swirly sea! Next one looks amazing too! Will look out for that book, I find them interesting after making the Underground Railroad Sampler. Have you come across books by Sara Lark? The Land of the Long White Cloud/ The song of the Spirits and the Call of the Kiwi - set in NZ - great novels. I assumed they were written by a Kiwi bu the author is German and lives in Spain - the detail she has in the books is amazing - from settlers in the Christchurch area setting up huge sheep stations, to the Maori wars...really good read. Don't know if you can get them in audio or not.

    ReplyDelete
  6. gorgeous quilt!
    It will make both the mother and the baby boy extremely happy!
    Bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooo listening to books sounds like a great idea! I might just have to try it :) Cute baby quilt and cant wait to see all the other goodies!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Leeanne - wow what a darling little quilt for the little boy - now your client has a girl quilt for someone else to love?! Yes I did notice your new header, very swish!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow what a long way for this darling wee quilt to go and I love the quilting Leeanne. The sneak peaks look yummy too.....missed getting to the CY today hope you had a productive day!!! Hugs Kerry

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous quilt, I have missed a few posts and they are all lovely. Your new website is beautiful, suits your work perfectly, very professional!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the boys quilt, and the sneak peak looks like French General fabric, I can't wait to see that one. I have been trying to grab your button, but nothing happens, !,!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been listening to books whilst sewing ever since you suggested!
    I am almost there with the birthday boys quilt! Promise you can share soon

    ReplyDelete
  13. very cute kids quilt. Love the idea of listening to books. I tend to listen to the radio, but must try that.

    ReplyDelete