Thursday, July 10, 2014

creamy delights & Christmas in July???


Joanne signed up for a class at The Country Yard some months back to make the Antique Lace Patchwork Quilt , you will remember I made the class sample back here. Joanne asked for hers to be quilted the same.


Ever so sorry for the substandard photo's, but we are having the most incredible relentless rain & wind here in Northland,  there was no way I could take any outside photo's of this pretty quilt!
Joanne tells me she now has a new found addiction. . . . . . . . . . . . . .collecting doilies! I can join her on that addiction, they are hard to say no to. What better way to use some of them though, in a stunning heirloom for generations to enjoy.


Joanne chose Matilda's Own 50%wool 50%cotton batting. The quilt measures : 62" x 62". I used a soft taupe Maderia poly neon thread, that just seemed to blend nicely into the fabulous linen & cotton fabrics. Honestly I wish you could see some of the fabrics better, the colours & textures made this quilt dreamy to work with.


Of course I had a few 'interesting' times with the quilting foot getting caught in the doilies! I had to take things real slow. I like the choice of sashing, a tone on tone, old world look brown, which Joanne says she will bind the quilt with also. Now that the quilting is completed, Joanne will add some of her collection of antique buttons, no doubt that is another addiction!!


                                                     Thank you Joanne, enjoy your quilt.

More cream to share, not a quilt, but a pincushion. I made this for my friend Raewyn, who had a wee birthday last week.


Made from a wooden coffee tree stand ( saw some rungs off & the top) & an old round cake tin, a dash of paint, then sand some paint off for that 'well-loved-vintage-chic' look. My total inspiration must & does go to my dear friend Julie, over at My Threadbear  Life, so much inspiration is she!
 Backtrack a few months to here where I made another one for a friend for Christmas. Then I bought this awesome one from Julie at my last visit. fun to make, but much easier to buy from her!!
Anyway, I used felted cream wools from up-cycled woollen clothing, & a small doiley all bought from OpShops (thriftshops). I made a flower for the top. I called Raewyn's pincushion "The Pin House".





It's always fun making handmade gifts for friends & of course receiving them! I wonder how well my handmade gifts will be received this month, as I signed up for a 'Christmas in July Swap'. I had to make three handmade gifts. We got to choose from a Christmasy themed list. I have no idea who I will receive from, but of course I know who I am giving to!! Here they are wrapped & ready to post.


I hope other Northland readers are all OK & of course anyone else out there in the firing line of this amazing, relentless wild weather.



6 comments:

  1. Wow that quilt is lovely. So many of us seem to have an obsession on collecting doilies. Oh and then their are the vintage sheets, the blankets, the rik rac............the list goes on and on. Cute Pin House, bet Raewyn loved it!! Still wet and windy down here but not to the extent that you lot have been getting. Stay safe up there in the Winterless North!! Love that last photo, poor little birds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh My .... seeing that quilt makes me feel like making that pattern up Leeanne - just gorgeous. Would be a great way to use up some treasured doilies. Love how you have quilted it & can see how the foot could get stuck under the lace too :-) LOVE Raewyns pin house - looks awesome in the cream ... your little packages for the christmas swap look lovely all wrapped up with your little notes on. Yes, poor little birdies in the last pic xx0xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing job you have done quilting that quilt. I cannot even begin to imagine how hard that was. Love your gift for Raewyn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the quilt, I love mixing things up too :D Stay warm up there, I know someone who makes possum nipple warmers if required!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous quilt and quilting, it's beautiful! The gift you made for Raewyn is lovely too, such a clever idea for reusing things. I have been thinking of you today, hoping you are not suffering in the flooding up north!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joanne's quilt is beautiful - her choice of materials is lovely. Thank you also for my delicious Pin House - I do love it!!!

    ReplyDelete