Saturday, September 24, 2016

High Speed Gift Giving!


When your loved one asks at very short notice to make a quilt for someone special as a way of thanks you can't say no, can you? I didn't say no - I said yes!


My loved one is a music teacher and when he heard of one of his exchange students was leaving, the idea of a music/ kiwiana quilt was a nice idea. The luxury of time was not on my side so a lap quilt made from 5" squares in both kiwiana and music themed fabrics worked a treat.


Reasonably quick to piece, even the quilting came together in a couple of hours, Glide thread doing a stipple over the 5" squares then some quilted "Music" (relevant to that child, instrument etc) and "Kiwi" words then machine attached binding and a label.


All good right? I did my good deed and I got that warm fuzzie feeling for making a quilt for someone else! So back to paying customers...................not so quick! Two days later:
"Dear, there is another exchange student leaving, could 'we' make another quilt?"
Did I say no?


No I didn't............I made another nearly the same with a few different fabrics relevant to the student.




I had the other half of black batting from the first quilt (these quilts only measure 41" square) and just enough of the backing fabric! Whew!


A final note, be kind to your fabric stash because you never know when you will have to call on it at short notice!


12 comments:

  1. Love your cartoon, so true, I can say that about 2 applique blocks for bag pockets this week!! and 2 fab quilts, what a send-off gift for each student.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow--you are fast. I'll bet those quilts are appreciated! And I hope your loved one appreciates you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a wondeful parting gift that will remoond the student of when he was having lessons etc

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW!!! My loved one would have to ask & give me at least 3 years notice to produce something like that !!! Amazing ... & some very lucky exchange students there too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lucky students!! Great cartoon Leeanne.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Goodness you are wonder woman. Well done

    ReplyDelete
  7. amazing art just glorious though

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great mementos. I love the 'could 'we' make another quilt!!! Did you go over your lettering a few times to make it so visible?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow - you go girl!! One of the many reasons I love my stash too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha ha....that cartoon sure made me grin :-), and you are so awesome to get those lap quilts done. Am sure they were greatly appreciated something to treasure when the girls are back in their homeland.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well done you!! Two beautiful quilts that will be treasured by the students! Great memento to take back with them. No what is your loved one doing for you in return I wonder?? :-) Loved the cartoon too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous work and a clever talented lady

    ReplyDelete